This page contains a list of tools that are useful for developing games and mods for Minetest.
General Lua Tools
- luacheck: Lua linter and static code analyser (see also the chapter in rubenwardy's modding book)
- busted: Lua unit testing framework (see also the chapter in rubenwardy's modding book)
- Lua pattern viewer: A site like Regexr but for visualising and working with Lua patterns.
- debug: Minetest mod library that offers more debugging capabilities.
- LuaJIT Profiler: Minetest mod that allows you to profile mods using LuaJIT's built-in profiler and Flamegraph.
- Schematic Editor: Minetest mod that allows you to import, edit and export schematics straight within Minetest.
- MTS Editor: Standalone program to view and edit Minetest schematics, but it supports other file formats (e.g. Minecraft schematics) as well.
- Lua2Mts: Minetest mod to convert .lua schematics to .mts schematics.
- Perlin Explorer: Minetest mod that allows you to experiment with all sorts of perlin noise.
- Blender: Essential for making animated models in Minetest, see Using Blender.
- Blockbench: Useful for making static voxel models for Minetest.
- NodeBoxEditor: External program to make nodebox models for Minetest.
- formspec_editor: Minetest game that allows you to write formspecs and preview them instantly within Minetest.
- Minetest Formspec Editor: WYSIWYG online formspec editor